The International Institute will be closed through April 13, 2020 due to the Coronavirus, by executive order of the Governor of Michigan. As allowed by the Governor's order, only staff necessary to conduct minimum basic operations will be on duty in our building. Our restaurant is also closed by order of the Governor. Please be assured that the interests of our community members and clients remain paramount. You may contact our staff as follows and we will reply regarding any urgent matter:
1. Wojciech Zolnowski, Executive Director, (313) 600-7618 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Immigration Legal Department
- Yumana Dubaisi, Supervising Attorney, email@example.com
- Nene Tesija-Pocedic (U.S. Department of Justice Accredited Representative), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donna Beauregard (Immigration Attorney), email@example.com
- Katie Nicastri (U.S. Department of Justice Accredited Representative), firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Career Development Department/United Way Center for Working Families
- Robert E. Sullivan, Jr., IIMD General Counsel and Director of Career Development, email@example.com
- Brandi Woods (Financial Coach), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Samer Zadoyan (Benefits Coach), email@example.com
4. Global Education Department
- Nada Dalgamouni (Director of Global Education), firstname.lastname@example.org
Regarding our immigration clients, please be advised that the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Detroit Field Office is closed to the public. Please consult their website for updates at https://uscis.gov/about-us/find-a-uscis-office/field-offices/michigan-detroit-field-office.
We understand that these are stressful times and we will do our best to answer your questions and address your concerns. Please return to this website periodically for updates. You may also reach us through Facebook.
WHO WE ARE
The International Institute of Metropolitan Detroit (IIMD) was founded in Detroit in 1919 by a group of YWCA volunteers, who sought to help legal immigrants learn English, appreciate freedom and democracy, become U.S. citizens, be assimilated into their new communities, and learn to understand each other's cultures.
Learn more about the Census 2020 and what to expect prior to Census Day on April 1, 2020.
What We Offer
Immigration Legal Services
Like those who came before them, today’s immigrants invigorate the economy and enrich our culture, traditions and values. Yet, they face labyrinthine statutes, rules and regulations, multiple layers of bureaucratic intimidation and an increasingly insensitive political climate fueled by nativist feelings.
We are proud to represent these courageous newcomers and their families.
Immigrant Resource Center
IIMD Immigrant Resource Center offers a number of pathways to success and self-sufficiency for Metro Detroit immigrants and members of the Detroit community, including:
We offer offers a variety of educational opportunities including employment, finances, citizenship and acculturation for the newly arrived and global languages and cultures for the general public. MORE >
Global Education Programs
urpose of the Global Education program is to expand the knowledge of children and adults about global cultures and widen their views of the world. Take a look at the programs that the Global Education Department conducts.
We are proud to own collections, artifacts exhibits and historical rooms that illustrate various nationalities and cultures around the world and tells parts of the history that makes IIMD the way it is today.
Donations to the International Institute to fund our programs and maintain our mission are always welcome and greatly appreciated.