The International Institute relies heavily on monetary and in-kind donations, grants and corporate sponsorship in order to maintain the variety of services that we provide. We provide legal immigration services to over 1,300 clients annually and our cultural education services reach tens of thousands of Michigan schoolchildren every year. The International Institute is always adding new programs and services so that we can respond to new challenges within the community. You can help support these new programs by:
The Institute is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. All checks should be made out to “The International Institute of Metropolitan Detroit” and can be mailed to 111 East Kirby, Detroit, MI 48202.
You can pay by credit card by using PayPal: (not currently available)
The Institute will accept in-kind donations. Please contact the Institute prior for criteria and review process. Our current needs include:
- New or gently used restaurant kitchen dining room matching tables and chairs to replace our aging inventory
- Computers and software – newer versions than our current supply, particularly to update from Windows XP and older Microsoft software
- U.S. flags 4×6 foot to fly on our outdoor flagpole
- International flags for our Hall of Nations to fill any gaps in our collection – we would like to have every country in the world represented by a flag.
- Display cases for cultural artifacts – must be lockable and secure to protect and display to the public valauble artifacts currently in storage
- Operable used cars for unemployed Detroiters in our jobs program to be able to get to work at suburban job sites not accessible by bus routes
- Second – storey window washing services
- Services and materials to transfer old video film to dvd digital format- we have many old reel-to-reel films that need to be preserved and so they may be easily viewd in digital format
- A new large film screen for our Hall of Nations stage, able to roll down from the ceiling, to replace the ancient, damaged, and inoperable current screen, so we can show films and PowerPoint presentation on a large screen once again
- Modern installed video projector equipment to easily present PowerPoint and film presentations in our Hall of Nations, American Room, upstairs conference room, and two classrooms
- An outdoor multi-bike bicycle rack, so our nearby neighbors may ride their bikes here and secure them while they are in our building
- Security equipment upgrades
- Public relations and publicity – newspaper articles, radio ads, television coverage – of our programs and services
- Funding to pay the State of Michigan for an historic site historical marker to honor our upcoming 100th birthday, in 2019
- A desktop level small display rack for 8 1/2 x 11″ flyers for our programs
- A large cork wall-mounted bulletin board, with locking clear cover door, for our Jobs Program announcements
The International Institute is in great need of talented and skilled volunteers who can help us. Types of talent needed is clerical, fundraising, maintenance, and secretarial. If you can help, please fill out the contact form. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
The International Institute needs students to share their knowledge of their own cultural heritage and traditions. Under the direction of the Institute’s EEE coordinator, students will be part of a team making educational presentations to youth groups and senior citizen groups throughout Metro Detroit. Please contact Nada Dalgamouni at (313) 871-8600 x 226 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Institute is looking for individuals who are availabe to be interpreters/translators. The Institute has many occasions to help new/recent immigrants who need help with interpretations and translations. For more information, please contact Nada Dalgamouni at (313) 871-8600 x 226 email@example.com .
There are internship opportunities for law school students. Please send your resume and statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the immigration department at (313) 871-8600 for more information.
The International Institute of Metropolitan Detroit, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, as classified by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service under the Internal Revenue Code. We are also classified as a public charity under the Code. Contributions are deductable under Section 170 of the Code and we are qualified to receive tax deductable bequests, devises, transfers or gifts under Sections 2055, 2106 or 2522 of the Internal Revenue Code. Please consult your personal tax advisor to determine tax deductability eligibility for your own particular circumstances and tax return.